The Meeting House

New here?general FAQs

marriage documents

The legal documentation for marriage is obtaining a marriage licence at any licence issuing office (usually any City Hall).

  • To obtain a Marriage Licence the application form will need to be completed and taken in person to an Ontario Marriage Licence issuer. You will need to bring with you identification, such as a birth certificate (along with any change of name certificates), current passport, Record of Immigrant Landing or Canadian citizenship card, along with photo identification, for both the bride and the groom. Contact your City/Municipality Clerk's Office for the location of the Marriage Licence Issuer nearest you and any further requirements.

  • Once married you may wish to obtain a marriage certificate in order to change your name or other legal documents. You will need to apply for this about three months following the wedding. The Government website -- -- has further information and links for getting a marriage certificate.